Hello everybody! And welcome to a new, exciting feature that myself and the lovely Michaela @ A Novel Idea created!
Do you like recommending your favourite books? Would you like more recommendations tailored to your mood or content you fancy?
Then you’re in the right place!
How does it work?
- Each month, Michaela and I will pick a theme. This could be anything, from a certain type of representation to a specific trope to an emotion you want a book to make you feel.
- We’ll launch it on our blogs and Twitter at the start of the month – make sure you’re following both myself and Michaela!
- Then it’s up to you! All you need to do is leave a comment or reply to our tweet with a book recommendation you think fits that theme and why. This can be as long or short as you like and you can recommend as many or few as you can think of!
For example: this month’s theme is ‘A Book For When You Want To Cry’
My recommendation for a book for when you want to cry is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak because you develop a real affection for all the characters and the ending is so brutal. It’s based around a real period of history too so it hurts even more to think events like this could actually have happened.
- At the end of the month we’ll round up all your suggestions and put them in a random generator – this is the ‘lottery’ part.
- We’ll then make a blog post with five of your randomly chosen recommendations with a full synopsis, our thoughts on the choice and your explanation! All other suggestions will be added at the end as ‘Honorable Mentions’ so no one will miss out on having their recommendation shared.
This means that every month, you’ll get at least five recommendations based on a mood, trope or theme as well as being able to share your own favourites and hopefully find people who love them too!
If you’d like to take part in February’s lottery, then the theme is:
A Book You Would Recommend To Someone Who Doesn’t Like To Read
We’ve chosen this theme as it was sort of our inspiration for starting this feature; a friend asked us to recommend books for someone they know who wasn’t a big reader, but wanted to try read more. He has started some of our suggestions and loved them so far! So, we figured why not try do the same for more people, across more topics!
***Please note that if you do submit a recommendation, you’re giving us permission to use your quote and name/handle as part of the blog post.***
Do you have a recommendation for someone who doesn’t like to read? And do you have any requests for upcoming themes? They can literally be anything and we’ll consider all suggestions! Let us know in the comments 🙂